WBPSC Junior Engineer Exam
The candidates who wish to do govt job in west bengal have to check Syllabus & exam pattern for this exam. The WBPSC Junior engineer syllabus is available here. The WBSPC Syllabus includes various sub topics that are covered in the examination. candidates who want to get job in West Bengal government have to prepare well. we provide complete preparation tips for WBSPC JE Exam. Candidates who wish todownload West Bengal Syllabus have to download here. we provide a direct link to download this syllabus. the Syllabus & exam pattern will help to know the Exam duration, heightage of the exam, topices that are included in the exam & all other important details regarding the examination
WBPSC Junior Engineer Exam Pattern @ www.pscwbonline.gov.in
- WBPSC JE Exam conducted as objective test.
- test Duration is 2 hours.
- total Number of Question – 100
- Each Question carriees 2 marks.
- exam conductes for 200 marks
|1.||Written Test||Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical||100||200||2 Hours|
S C H EME
The examination will comprise two successive parts as follows:–
- a) WrittenExamination-FullMarks-200,Time-2hours:The written examination will consist of one paper covering Engineering subjects(Multiple Choice Objective Type Questions)for each of the three branches.Therewillbe100questionscarrying2markseach.The standard and syllabus of the written examination are mentioned in the appendix(Appendix‘A’, ‘B’&‘C’).
- b) PersonalityTest-FullMarks-100:A limited number of candidates,select edon the results of the written examination,will be calledtoPersonalityTestcarrying100marks.Final merit list will be prepare don the basis of the total marks obtained in the Written Examination and the Personality Tes
SYLLABUS FOR WRITTEN TEST FOR RECRUITMENT TO THE POST OF JUNIOR ENGINEERS (MECHANICAL) IN WEST BENGAL SUBORDINATE SERVICE OF ENGINEERS
- 1. STRENGTH OF MATERIALS
- a) Stress,Strain,Elasticity–
Tensile,Compressive and Stear Stresses,Hooke’s Law,Tensiletest on M.S.,Factor of Safety,Young’s Modulus,Modulus of rigidity,Bulk Modulus,Poission;sRatio,Temperature Stress,Hoop Stress,Longitudinal Stress,Strain energy.Ductility, Mobility&Plasticity.
- b) Rivetted Joints –Types of joints,failure of riveted joints,efficiency of joints,rivet joints in pressure vessel,structural join
- c) F.and B.M.–Definition of beam,type of beam,types of loads,S.F. and B.M.diagrams for cantilever, simply supported and overhung beams with point load sand U.D.L.,Point of Contraflexure.
- d) Bending Stress–Assumptions in simple bending,Moment of resistance,Section modulus,Flitched beam,difference between neutral axis and neutral plane.
- e) Torsion of circular shafts(solid and hollow)–Torque equation,power transmitted,Flange Couplings.
- f) Closed Coil helical spring–Stress in spring,deflection,stiffness of springs,spring sin series and parallel.
- g) Deflection of beam–Cantilever,simply supported and overhung beams with point load and UDL,Superposition,Macaulay’s M
- h) Column sand Struts–Definition of Column and strut,types of columns,slenderness ratio,critical load,Euler’s Formula, Rankine–Gordon’s Formula(both ends fixed,one end fixed,other end hinged,both end shinged,one end fixed,other end free–equivalent length).
- 2. ENGINEERING MECHANICS
- a) Centre of gravity and moment of Inertia–
C.G.of regular areas and volumes,M.I.of regular areas,Perpendicular Axis Theorem,Parallel Axis Theorem,Mass M.I.of thin cylinder.
- b) Work,Power,Energy–Definitions,Units,Conversion of Units,Kinetic energy,Potential energy,Power–M.K.S.an I. units.
- c) Transmission of Motion and Power–
Belt drive–Velocity ratio,Simple and Compound drive,Initial Tension,Centrifugal Tension,Power transmitted,Speed for maximum power,Creep in Belt, belt length,Flat belt and V-belt drive–comparison.
Gear Drive–Types of gears,gear trains,types of gear trains, elements of spur gear, power transmitted.
- d) Lifting Machines –Definitions,Mechanical advantage,velocity ratio,efficiency,condition for non-reversibility,velocity ratio for different types of lifting machines(simple and differential wheel and axle,differential pulley,screw jack,single purchase crab,worm and wheel).
- e) Friction–Definitions, Laws of friction,angle of friction,angle of repose, limiting frictions,coefficient of friction.
- 3. FLUID MECHANICS AND MACHINES
- a) Properties of fluid,units,measurement of pressure by manometers,Total pressure and centre of pressure of immersed flat surfaces, buoyancy and floatings,types of equilibrium of floating bodies.
- b) Types of fluid flow,Types of energy,Continuity equation,Bernoulli’s Theorem.
- c) Measurement of fluid flow –Venturimeter,Oripicemeter,Cd,Cvand Ccoforipice,Notches(Rectangular and Vee),Pilot tube, d) Losses in flow through pipes,Reynold’s number–its significance.
- e) Reciprocating Pumps–Types,Working Principle of a Reciprocating Pump,Pump Work,efficiency,Slip,Power,uses of Air
Vessels, separation and cavitations,care and maintenance of reciprocating pumps.
- f) Centrifugal Pump–Types,parts,pump heads,working principle,priming,selection of pumps,specific speed,work done, power, efficiency, performance, starting, care and maintenance
- g) Vert Turbine Pump. h) Submersible Pump.
- 4. HEAT POWER
- a) Units of pressure,Temperature,work,power,heat,first and second laws of thermodynamics,internal energy,enthalpy, entropy –unit of entropy.
- b) Difference between gas and vapour,characteristic equations of perfect gas,Universal gas constant,Specific heats at constant pressure and constant volume–their relationship,types of non-flow process for gases.
- c) I. Engines–Otto cycle and Diesel cycle–representation on P.V.and T-S diagram,thermal efficiency,comparison,Duel
Combustion cycle–P-V and T-S diagram,use, parts of I.C.Engine.
Working principle of petrol engine – 4-stroke and 2-stroke cycle engines, simple carburettor, preignition, Detonation, Supercharging,ignition systems.
Working Principle of Diesel engine–4-strokeand2-strokecycleengines,Air injection and solid injection,supercharger&Torque convertor.
Scavanging,valve timing,governing of I.C.Engines,Performance of I.C.Engine–indicator diagram,Indicated power,brake power, mechanical efficiency,thermal efficiencies,efficiency ratio,specific fuel consumption.
Cooling systems of I.C.engines,components of cooling system. Care and maintenance – lubrication of I.C.engines.
- d) Air Compressor–
Purpose of using compressors,field of application,classification,principle of working of reciprocating air compressor(single stage)and its performance,types of rotary compressors,comparison between reciprocating and rotary compressors,safety, care and maintenance.
- e) Refrigerator and Air-conditioning–
Refrigerating effect,C.O.P.,Properties of refrigerants,Refrigerants and pollution. Air Refrigeration –Reversed Carn of Cycle,Bell Coleman Cycle,uses.
Vapour Compression Refrigeration–working principle,function of components,uses. Air-conditioning–Definition,types,factors of control.
- 5. MANUFACTURING PROCESS
- a) Heat treatment of Steel –
Carbon Steel and alloy steel, structural steel and tool steel. Iron carbon diagram (Phrases and temperatures of transformation),Hypoandhyperentectoid steel.
Concept of heat treatment of steel and its purpose.
Different heat treatment processes-Annealing,normalizing,hardening,tempering,case hardening process–Carburising, Nitriding,Cyaniding(Principle,Purpose and uses).
Surface Hardening–Flame Hardening,Induction Hardening. Heat treatment of H.S.S.cutting tools(Principle& purposes). Heat treatment furnaces. Composition of different alloy.
- b) Pattern Making–
Definition of pattern,pattern materials, selection of pattern material,advantages and limitations of wooden and metal patterns, pattern allowances,reasons for pattern allowances,factors controlling the allowances,types of pattern–fields of application.
- c) Moulding–
Classification of moulding process,properties of moulding sand,preparation of moulding sand,moulding tools,Green sand moulding cope,drag,runner,riser,gatings, dry sand moulding, loammoulding, fit moulding, machine moulding.
- d) Casting–
Melting of metals–furnaces required(Cupola, Tilting furnace).
Casting process–sand casting,die casting,centrifugal casting,malleable casting,investment casting(process in brief and field of application).
Fettling of casting,defects in castings,remedies,safety precautions in casting,testing of castings.
- e) Welding and allied processes–
Definition of welding,classification,gas welding procedure,equipments,application,safety,types of flames–uses,function,
use and types of fluxes.
Arc welding – principle, equipments, application safety. Resistance welding–spot, butt, seam and projection. Welding–principle,equipments, uses.
Thermit welding– principle of operations and applications. Special welding techniques –TIG,MIG, Electron Beam welding.
Plasma Art welding, Electro slag welding,laser welding–principle and application.
Defects in welding,remedies.
Soldering,brazing – principle,application.
- f) Fitting –
Various operation sand corresponding tools used,measuring tools, marking tools,specifications, care and maintenance of tools.
- g) Mechanical working of metal–
Forging – types (Hand, Power, Drop and press forging – Principles of operation), tools used, forging operations, characteristics,advantages and defects of forged parts.
Extrusion –definition,types,principles of operation,advantages,field of application.
Rolling– principles of hot and cold rolling,field of application,types of rolling mills–uses,spinning,wire drawing–principle of operation,field of application.
- 6. MACHINE TOOLS
- a) Introduction–definition,classification,basic elements and purpose of machine tools,safety in machine shop,machine tool drives–classification.
- b) Metal cutting–purpose and classification of cutting tools,cutting tool materials–comparative study,orthogonal and oblique cutting,tool life,tool wears, machine ability,cutting fluids– properties,purposes and types.
- c) Lathe and Lathe work
Types,classification of Lathe Centre Lathe specification, parts,accessories,attachments,feed mechanism,feed reversing mechanism,operations– turning,facing, taper turning,thread cutting,boring, knurling etc. different types of lathe tools, tools elements,tool signature, cutting speed,feed, depth of cut.
- d) Drilling Machine
Classification and specification of various types drilling machines,construction,uses and limitations of different types of drilling machines,different types of drills–specifications, nomenclatureoftwistdrills,tapdrillsize,differentoperationsin drillingmachines,work holdingdevices,toolholdingdevices.
- e) ShaperandPlaner
Classificationandspecificationofshaper,partsofshaper–theirfunctions,workholding devices,drivingmechanism,quick returnmechanism,strokelength adjustment,strokepositionadjustment,feedmechanism,shaper operations,clapper box.
Classificationandspecificationofplaner,differentpartsof planner,drivingmechanism,quickreturnmechanism,operation, comparisonofshaper andplaner.
- f) MillingMachine
Classification,specificationofmillingmachinesnamesandfunctionsofdifferentpartsofplain,verticalanduniversalmilling machines,attachments,millingprocess,millingoperations,millingcutter–classification,negativerakemilling,safety,care andmaintenance ofmillingmachine.
- g) Gear Cutting
Gear cuttingbyformedmillingcutter, indexing simple anddifferential,angularindexing. Rackcutter,pinioncutter, gearhob–workingprinciple,jobtoolmovement.
- h) GrindingandGrinders
Grinding wheel– composition,abrasives–types, properties,uses,bonds–types and uses,Grit, gradeand structureof wheels,factorsin selectinggrindingwheel,mountingofwheels,glazingandloading,dressing,tracingandbalancingof grindingwheels,careandmaintenanceofgrindingwheels,external,internalandsurfacegrinding,centrelessgrinding, horningandlapping.
- i) Jigs and Fixtures
Definition,comparison,purpose, location,clamping,guidebushes. j) Non-traditionalmachining
Classification,advantagesof non-traditionalmachining,EDM,ECM,USM,LBM–workingprinciple,advantages,limitation, fieldofapplication.
- k) NumericalControlMachineTools
Meaning ofNCandCNC, advantagesofCNC, variouscomponents ofNC andCNCmachine toolsandtheir functions. l) Differenttypesofthread&their use.
Maintenance ofmachinery&equipments. Limits&Fits. Air&Waterpollutionandcontrol.